I am performing an upgrade for a client from Sitecore 6.5.0 rev. 110818 to Sitecore 6.6.0 rev. 120918. When I tried installing the update I got this critical error when the update finished:
“Could not load file or assembly ‘Lucene.Net, Version=X.X.X.X, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null’ or one of its dependencies. The located assembly’s manifest definition does not match the assembly reference.”
In the upgrade instructions on the SDN, it clearly states that after you install the update you may receive this message:
Note: The upgrade process might fail with the following error message: “Could not load file or assembly ‘Lucene.Net, Version=X.X.X.X, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null’ or one of its dependencies. The located assembly’s manifest definition does not match the assembly reference.”
This error happens because Sitecore CMS 6.6 uses a new strongly-named version of Lucene.NET and can occur if one of the installed modules or your custom code refers to an old version of Lucene.NET.
To fix this, disable any modules and custom code in your solution that depends on Lucene.NET, then rerun the process. If you cannot determine the exact module or code that should be disabled, or if your changes do not resolve the problem, please contact Sitecore Product Support Services.
After working with support to get some hints, it turned out that the following .dll’s and includes were causing the problems as they were referencing the old .dll’s.
Here is a list of the of the following includes and dll’s in my solution that I had to copy out of the website:
Once, I copied them out into another folder and reran the update, the update successfully finished upgrading my instance. Hopefully, this saves you some time. Happy coding!